Python on MacOS X 10.2: a warning and instructions

Russell E. Owen owen at nospam.invalid
Mon Sep 16 18:25:26 EDT 2002

MacOS X 10.2 (Jaguar) breaks the fink installation of Python (due to
moving the ncurses package).

MacOS X 10.2 does include Python (at least if you install the
Developer's CD, not sure otherwise) but it has no readlines support
(i.e. no command recall) and no Tkinter support.

I upgraded before I realized this, and needed python too much to wait
for the fink binary, so I spent a day and a half figuring out how to do
the installation (with help from the MacPython list). Instructions are
at <http://arcserve.astro.washington.edu/InstallingPythonOnJaguar.html>
if you are unfortunate enough to need them.

These instructions install a version that uses xfree86 (an X server) to
display windows. However, a release version of the native aqua version
of tcl/tk now exists (version 8.4.0) but so far the only binary
installer is for 8.4a4, an older version. The source installer comes
with no instructions and what I tried failed. If anybody gets Python
with Tkinter to worth with the aqua version of tcl/tk 8.4.0 under MacOS
10.2, I would love instructions.

-- Russell