upgrading python

Markus von Ehr markus.vonehr at ipm.fhg.de
Thu Sep 5 11:56:25 EDT 2002

Hi,

first of all I'd like programming in python.
Sometimes you need to grade up to a newer version.
I have to download everything again and install every single package,
for example:

-win32all
-PyOpengl
-Pyserial
-Numeric
-unzip Pmw
-PIL
-py2exe
-PyXML
etc.

So I just mentioned "only" 8 packages, additionally I have to
install the newer python version and to uninstall the old packages...

Couldn't it be made easier? Maybe I do something wrong and
am misunderstanding how to deal with it.

Now I wanted to grade up to tk84. It was quite hard to find
_tkinter.c, then I downloaded the tcl-sources, tk-sources,
installed MSVC6, found out that some X11 stuff is missing...

I know that all mentioned packages are different projects but could
it be made that there's a python distribution with all packages
up2date and the installer is asking for the desired ones?

Do you have similar experiences?

Markus