Zope Status?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Sep 7 10:46:05 EDT 2002

Bo wrote:
> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in
> news:3d78a657$1 at news.sentex.net:
>
>>Very likely, going to http://dev.zope.org would answer these
>>questions.
>
> I looked there but it seems somewhat vague and out of date.

I can't help the "vague" part, if that's your perception of it,
but looking at "RecentChanges" it seems clear that the wiki is
quite active and maintained.  Maybe the pages you are looking
at simply don't require an update at this time.

> Project Plan
>
> The Zope 2.6 release is tentatively planned for Q2 2002. Once the
> ProposedFeatures have been solidified into a final feature set, we'll put a
> table here with status and links to project areas for the major components
> of the project.

The way I read that, this release is far enough in the future they
don't yet have a definite plan for what it will contain or when it
will be released.  That's certainly vague, but I suspect it's very
accurate.

> The site says they are gathering features for zope 2.6 and working on a
> vision statement for 2.7 which will use python 2.2.

Sounds clear enough.  After all, Zope 2.5.1 just came out, so they
can't be expected to have a beta for 2.6 ready yet, can they?

To answer your original first two questions then:

1. They will be moving to Python 2.2 roughly no earlier than the latter
half of 2003.

2. They won't be releasing Zope 3 for a long time yet.  (But is
anyone really basing their plans on when the third-next release
of a product is going to be available?)

> I'm just curious if some people involved in the code would share their
> progress\hopes.

Well, subscribing to, say, the developer mailing list (see
http://www.zope.org/Resources/MailingLists) would certainly be the best
place to get access to such opinions.

-Peter