linux python ideas

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Thu Sep 19 03:29:01 EDT 2002

Fernando Pérez <fperez528 at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<amapge$22r$1 at peabody.colorado.edu>...
> Rob Andrews wrote:
>
> > I'll be giving a presentation on Python to my local LUG
> > (http://lugoj.org) in a few weeks, and would like to point out at least
> > a few things that would be of particular interest to linux users.
>
> <blatant plug>
> Check out ipython at http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/ipython

I'd very much recommend a demonstration which uses the interactive
mode of Python. That was one of the things that impressed me about
Python in the beginning: the ability to do things like connecting to
servers interactively and with barely any effort, and I amused myself
by perusing the Python newsgroups at the Python prompt and thinking
how straightforward it would be to write a newsreader in Python
instead of C, for example.

Of course, stuff like "network programming" is fairly easy with other
languages, but unless Perl has spawned an interactive mode, for
example, you'll be showing people things they haven't seen before if
you show some experimentation at the command prompt. You might also
get bonus points by then demonstrating the same things again in
Jython. :-)

Paul