debugging "Too many open files"

Alex Polite m2 at plusseven.com
Fri Sep 20 07:42:55 EDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 07:27:53PM +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Depends on what you mean by "pointing to". It is extremely rare that a
Symlink. My thinks?
> process opens /dev/hdc, since that requires superuser permissions; I
Well. I was running this as root.
> know of no case where a program opens /dev/hdc more than once.
>

> So by "pointing to", you probably meant something else. Care to
> provide precise data? What did you do, how did the computer respond,
> how do you interpret this response?

Looking closer into the matter I realised that /dev/hdc (my dvdplayer)
was not valid device, since the ide-cd kernel module wasn't loaded. I
loaded the module, restarted the python process and now everything is
working fine. So thanks a lot for the pointers Martin.

No the next step would be to have python check that /dev/hdc is a
valid device and throw an exception if it's not.

Any idea how that should be done?

alex

--
Alex Polite