Earing money with Python software (was: More on Protecting Source Code)

Hartmut Goebel h.goebel at crazy-compilers.com
Tue Sep 17 14:51:15 EDT 2002

Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> For software, I think the economical risk is that somebody uses your
> software without giving you the money you want - not that somebody
> sits down and studies your code for days, to write a program that he
> could have written himself from scratch in the same time.

Which brings me to another (related) topic): How to earn money
distributing Python software?

I'm currently trying to make up my mind about exactly this problem
area: How can I get some reward back when writing software like
decompyle and bridgekeeper?

I would be very gald if someone could share his/her experiances on
this topic!

- Sell it via micro-payment?
- Declare it "Shareware" and hope somebody pays for it?
- Offer commercial support?
- Develop two different versions, a "free" one which is missing some
  features and a commercial/registered/supported one offering more
  sophisticated functionallity?

(Any other comments are welcome, too.)

Regards
+++hartmut
--
| Hartmut Goebel      | h.goebel at crazy-compilers.com               |
| crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |