How many of you are Extreme Programmers?

June Kim juneaftn at orgio.net
Fri Apr 18 09:40:23 EDT 2003

qvx3000 at yahoo.com (Qvx) wrote in message news:<8b2d5523.0304180059.722de25a at posting.google.com>...
> blunck at gst.com (Christopher Blunck) wrote in message news:<1147e466.0304160630.5b510724 at posting.google.com>...
> > So how many of you guys use XP processes?
[snip]
> admit it: I don't know how to to use it. All work is done in Oracle
> database and Forms and they don't fit nicely with TDD (at least to
> me). How do you test a form? How do you test a lengthy database job
> whose input depends on dozens of tables and which modifies/creates
> records across dozens of tables?
[snip]

The essence is that you keep a simple rule of having GreenBarCycle
short, and in order to keep it do whatever available to you. Good
and suitable solution will emerge by itself or you'll get smart
enough to discover it.

For some hints:

To TDD database, go for the model first. Don't consider it's saved
on the disk. Consider it in-memory database or something. As soon
as you touch the persistence layer, which must be somewhat later,
you can use mock objects(google it).

I don't know what you mean by Form exactly, but guessing from my
experience that most XP beginners suffer from TDDing UI jobs, I'd
give you the following hints:

Make the presentation layer thiner and thiner. Have a look at MVP;
it is much easier to TDD than MVC.

see also:
 * http://www.sdmagazine.com/documents/s=7147/sdm0206b/0206b.htm
 * http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/TheHumbleDialogBox.pdf

If you try these ways, your design will improve enourmously as a Throw-in.

With warmest regards,
June (Changjune Kim)