*Newbie Question* --> Is it viable to distribute Python apps over the Internet?

laotseu bdesth at removethis.free.fr
Mon Apr 21 21:02:58 EDT 2003

Denis Agar wrote:
(snip)

> I'm blabbering! Anyway, my problem is this. I tried to compile a
> simple Hello World program into something runnable on non-python
> computers, and it came out being 7MB in size. Is there something I'm
> doing wrong? Just so you know, I do know somewhat what I'm doing. I
> know that it's incorporating all of the GUI. So is there a way to not
> incoporate all of the gui, and still have a functional program? I'm
> thinkin in the 800k range for a simple program? The reason I ask is
> because I'm thinking of porting something I made in VB to Python
> before I develop it any further.
>
> PS: The program is 92k in Visual Basic.

<OT>
Just for your information : your 92k VB program won't run without the
vbrun.dll, which is at least 1.x Mo... To be sure to have a correct
setup, you must package a VB program with the runtime (vbrun.dll) and
any 'external' ActiveX component, type libs etcs used by the application
(and be sure you won't write many real-life VB apps without ActiveX
components and type libs etc)
</OT>

Laotseu