vim configuration help

luigi monaco zdys at zdys.de
Tue Apr 15 03:37:24 EDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:58:55 +0200, Randall Smith wrote:

> I'm learning Python and I've been looking for a good IDE to use with it.
>     I haven't found an IDE that has text editing capabilities close to
> Vim/Emacs.
>
> Much of my previous programming is with Emacs/PHP and I love the
> auto-indenting, tab-indenting, well thought-out key strokes, and the
> ability to ssh into a server and run Emacs.
>
> I'd like to try out Vim while writing Python code (I'm using Webware).
> Right now, the default settings using color coding, have an 8 space tab
> and no autoindenting.  I would like to have a tab space of 2 or 4 spaces
> and have auto-indenting.
>
> I have no idea how to configure Vim.  I'm a total newbie.  Can someone
> please help me get started.  I'm looking to configure Vim for Python.
> Autoindenting and 4 space tabs are high priority now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randall
Hi Randall,

I had the same problems when I started with 'vim'. So here some initial
stuff to faster do some finger practices ;-)

<ESC>set tabstop= 4<CR>
# set tabstop to 4 space length

<ESC>set ai<CR>
# set autoindent

<ESC>set noai<CR>
# set no autoindent

<ESC>:mkv<CR>
# write vim configuration file to actual directory
# copy .vimrc to you ~/ directory, so it will be used by default.

<ESC>set nu<CR>
# enable line numbering

<ESC>syntax enable<CR>
# enable syntax highlighting

<ESC>:%s/<PATTERN>/<SUBST>/
# to substitute <PATTERN> with <SUBST>

<ESC>dd<CR>
# delete actual line

<ESC>start#,end#d<CR>
# to delete from line# start to line# end NOTE copied to buffer

<ESC>P
# insert buffer above actual position

<ESC>p
# insert buffer below actual position