Forgetting "()" when calling methods

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Apr 28 02:09:15 EDT 2003

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm pretty sure that if Python had never supported meaningless
(although
> consistent within a single run) comparisons, a compelling case for
adding
> them couldn't have been made.

Nor can I imagine a compelling case for exactly the current rules if
they were not whay they currently are.  Allowing 1j to compare to '1'
but not 1 is pretty exoteric.  The argument seem to be this: cmp(1j,
'1') is so meaningless that it is ok to give an answer while cmp(1j,1)
might be seen as meaningful (and lexicographically, it is) so therefor
it must be forbidden.

Terry