Python compared toJava

Steve Holden sholden at
Tue Apr 15 15:11:00 CEST 2003

"Frithiof Andreas Jensen" <frithiof.jensen at>
wrote ...
> Blaktyger <blaktyger at> skrev ...
> > Hi!
> >
> > I recently read that the Python interpreter is like the Java Virtual
> Machine.
> > Is that true?
> Not quite - Python actually *delivers* on "write once, run everywhere" ;-)

This is a little ingenuous: some modules are only available on some
platforms, and others have different functionality on each different
platform. I'm as anxious as anyone else that the world gets a good
impression of Python, but distorting the truth will only lead to

Steve Holden
How lucky am I?
Python Web Programming