How to protect python code ?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 7 21:15:45 EDT 2003

"Ben Finney" <bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au> wrote in message
news:slrnb945tu.p4.bignose-hates-spam at rose.localdomain.fake...

> >  I'm sure that the original poster was being facetious but...power
> >  customers, telecom customers, computer customers.
>
> I didn't read facetiousness; rather, I read in the original question a
> sentiment perhaps better expressed as:
>
>   "If a business *pays* to become dependent on software they don't
>   control, what can one conclude about that business?"
>
> or even:
>
>   "How could it possibly be of benefit to a business to *pay* to become
>   dependent on software they don't control?"
>
> Thus, a rhetorical question perhaps.  The "What kind of business" was
> not a query for what *industry* the business is in, but rather in a
> spirit of "what kind of idiot".

Of course, the businesses that make a good living out of proprietary
software encourage all sorts of FUD about open source. Consequently, large
organizations implement rules forbidding the use of open source software
products because "they aren't supported" when in fact the support for some
open source products is actually superior to that of most proprietary
products.

The fact of the matter is that most companies would prefer to pay for a
black-box proprietary product because ultimately there's assumed to be a
responsible (and accountable) organization behind it. If they bothered to
read the licenses, of course, they'd realize that the producer's liability
is usually limited to the purchase price of the software.

regards
Did you miss PyCon DC 2003?            Would you come to PyCOn DC 2004?