red hat 8.0 and python

Peter piotrus at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 19 23:25:26 EDT 2003

I've just installed Red hat 8.0, and although python 2.2.1 comes with
it, i cannot use anything which uses the Tkinter library (this includes
IDLE). I a few other packages work, and the interpreter runs fine. I
suppose that this might be due to the setup, but I cannot figure it out.
  Could it be that Tkinter module does not come with the python
distribution which came with Red Hat 8.0? I read that it should, but I
searched my whole computer for anything with “tk” in the name with no luck.

I downloaded the rpm's for the python 2.2.2 (from www.python.org) but
simple "rpm -i" or "rpm -U" installing gives me errors; conflicts with
the currently installed version. I am not quite sure whether I should
try uninstalling what is there now because I've read that the a few
programs need it to run.

Any suggestions? Also if anyone knows of a webpage listing the
step-by-step instructions on how to install/uninstall/upgrade the python
distribution, please reply. I have read the info provided on
www.python.org, but it is not detailed enough for me.

Thanks
Peter