Help - building Linux standalones

Ben Hutchings do-not-spam-ben.hutchings at businesswebsoftware.com
Thu Apr 24 12:56:53 EDT 2003

In article <pan.2003.04.23.06.50.59.658420 at nospam-freenet.org.nz>,
David McNab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been battling to build an app as a linux standalone.
>
> Using McMillan Installer, I've successfully created a standalone for
> Windows which works to expectations.
>
> But in Linux-land, we get into dramas with system library versions.
> (I'm on debian, using glibc v2.3. Not all distros use this version, such
> as mandrake, which uses 2.2).
<snip>

glibc maintains very good backward binary compatibility, so there should
be no need to redistribute it.  Doing so will not only bloat your program
but will also obligate you to distribute glibc source if you distribute
the program commercially.  You *should* be able to install an older
version of the glibc development files and build with them.  Then your
program would work with that or any newer version.  Perhaps you can
install libc6-dev from potato - if that's still available - or woody.
(I wouldn't advise doing development using anything but stable.)