Python training time (was)

John Ochiltree johnochiltree at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Feb 1 06:17:01 EST 2003

<posted & mailed>

Alex Martelli wrote:

>>> I hate to break it to you, but gratuitous complexity *maintains*
>>> relationships of power.  Consider lawyers, for instance.  On the open
>>> market, my C++ skills are worth more money to more people than your
>>> Python
>>> skills.  It's going to be quite some time before that picture changes.
>> I think you are confusing 'getting paid' with 'creating wealth'.
>
> I think Laura is right on the spot, as usual.  Let me elaborate
> in my own usual (i.e. verbose :-) way.
>
> David Ricardo's "The Principles of Political Economy and Taxation"
> (not a _pleasant_ read IMHO -- I find Ricardo's style ponderous, the
> very opposite from the delightful, sparking English of e.g. Adam
> Smith -- but deep and important) goes into that quite well, IMHO.
> The whole book is available online, by the way:
> http://www.socsci.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll3/ricardo/prin/
>
> You'll find the distinctions between "value" on one side, and "wealth"
> or "riches" on the other (essentially the former meaning "value for
> exchange", the second "value for use") debated throughout the history of
> economics -- and often in much more brilliant language -- but never, IMHO,
> with deeper insight than Ricardo exhibits.  Chapter 20 of the book
> is entirely about this issue, and one key paragraph is:
> """
> It is through confounding the ideas of value and wealth, or riches that
> it has been asserted, that by diminishing the quantity of commodities,
> that is to say of the necessaries, conveniences, and enjoyments of
> human life, riches may be increased.
> """
>
> I'm talking about "riches" aka "wealth" in Ricardo's terms -- the
> abundance of necessaries, coveniences and enjoyments of human life --
> and specifically about those of a *whole nation*.
>
> Brandon seems to think that there is some relevance to this that,
> by creating or maintaining some scarcity, certain individuals can
> be enabled to capture more "value" ("more money").  Either he has
> not studied Ricardo, or he thinks _I_ haven't...
>
> One of Ricardo's examples discusses the possibility of a scarcity
> of *water* -- in his times (1820's) a paradox, today anything but
> (usable water IS scarce and costly in many places in the world).
>
> If you could create or maintain a scarcity of water, and control
> some of that scarce and therefore valuable resource, you, as an
> individual, might well profit for it, by diverting larger slices
> of the nation's wealth into your pockets; but the nation's wealth
> as a whole would inevitably diminish.  You'd get a larger slice
> (possibly even larger in absolute terms) of a diminishing cake.
>
> Similarly, professionals since age immemorables have striven and
> often succeeded in creating an artificial scarcity of their own
> services by restricting entry and practice into the profession
> (invariably with the noblest of motives, of course -- ensuring
> the public's safety, the quality of professional services, and
> [...]
Alex
This is the most wonderfully off topic post I've come across. You are a
genius to get from a debate about C++ & Python to a debate on value. I
salute you.

BTW I think Marx deals with the topic with far greater clarity than Ricardo
or Smith, though Smith's Law of the Cartel is not to be sniffed at.

Maestro

John