Best Python editor (under Linux)

Dan L. Pierson dan at control.com
Fri Jan 3 14:55:54 EST 2003

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 03:09:15 +0000, Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 23:25:06 -0800, faust <urfaust at optushome.com.au>
> wrote:
>> Emacs is always the answer....
>
>     Ah yes, Emacs.  Emacs is the proof that even the most die hard unix
>     fan
> can succumb to creeping featurism.  Why?  Well think about it, "the unix
> way" is to have a collection of small tools which are interchangable,
> communicate with each other well and each do their specific task quite
> well.

Emacs was implemented and grown in a non-Unix environment for many years
before any of the Unix implementations appeared.  By that point the
editior as work environment model was well established.  IMHO, it became the
most productive environment for Unix programming until Unix GUIs
were well established over a decade later.  It still competes well
with the GUIs as a complete environment.  Personally, I find that I
don't use it for email and news any more (largely because I'm not
that fond of gnus these days) but it's still by far the best power editor
available for either Linux/Unix or Windows.