curious to opinions on easygui

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 8 10:28:14 EST 2003

"french fry" <frenchfry at yes.no> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.01.08.07.53.05.109439.12689 at yes.no...
> maybe it's just me but i think easygui is fantastically simple and
> provides much needed functionality at practically no learning curve
except
> knowing how to use functions. i know guido sometimes adopts
community
> created modules into the standard library, i don't understand why
easygui
> isn't there.

Incorporation into the standard library requires a degree of
completion and stability that is usually indicated by a 1.0 release.
The latest EasyGui is 0.56, which indicates that the authors think it
needs more development before being 'done'.  In addition, the authors
have to want their work in the library and then do the things needed
to make that happen (write PEP, consider suggested changes, lock in
interface, demonstrate community need and use, format code to library
standard, write doc entries to doc standard, agree to fix bugs and
update to run with new releases, etc).  Note that there is a real
tradeoff between wider distribution and some loss of control.

Terry J. Reedy