PyCon DC anyone?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sun Jan 12 16:19:15 EST 2003

"Tom Bryan" <tbryan at python.net> wrote ...
> I've been looking around for discussions about PyCon, and I've been
> disappointed so far.  The submission deadline is nearing
> http://www.python.org/pycon/cfp.html, and I was hoping to see some
> discussion of what others were thinking of doing.  I haven't seen much on
> c.l.py about the conference, and the Wiki at
> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PyCon is not particularly active.
> The pycon-interest mailing list is also quiet.  Given the nature of the
> conference, I expected more community involvment at this point.
>
> I was hoping that there would be some good Jython content at the
conference.
> i even went so far as to start a page about a Jython track at the
> conference at http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PyConJython, but I'm
> afraid that no one is actually submitting any papers/talks about any of
> these topics.  Any other Jython users planning to attend PyCon.
>
> I haven't been to any technical conference like this before, and I really
> don't know what to expect.  I was just excited about the concept of
> something cheap enough that I could afford it on my own.  :-)  I wanted to
> add some variety to my day job of coding in Java and C, and I thought that
> the PyCon sounded like a fun place to meet other Pythonistas, hear what
> people are doing, learn some new stuff, and hack some code.  It's going to
> be difficult for me to decide whether to go if I don't see some others
> talking about it.
>
> Anyway, what does the rest of the community think?  Are you going to
PyCon?
> What do you expect?  Did you submit a paper?
>
> wouldn't-want-to-be-the-only-attendee-ly y'rs,

Tom:

It's unlikely that you'll be the only attendee (I'm going too, and
PythonLabs staff will be there all week, as well as in attendance at the
pre-conference sprints). However, like you I was hoping that the Python
community at l;arge would take PyCon to its heart and start to edit the Wiki
to reflect their interests in PyCon.

Consequently I'd like to follow up your posts by asking those c.l.py readers
who are planning to attend to actually be a little more proactive, and start
moulding the conference to meet their interests. I'm hoping this will make
it a more interesting and useful conference.

but-then-i'm-just-the-chairman-ly y'rs  - steve
Bring your musical instrument to PyCon!    http://www.python.org/pycon/