spambayes rocks

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 29 16:57:06 EST 2003

Quoth Jarek Zgoda <jzgoda at usun.gazeta.pl>:
| Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> pisze:
|
| >    Donn> Or maybe he literally meant efficient.  The efficient place to
| >    Donn> stop the flow is not at the destination.
| >
| > For that to happen, you will need the cooperation of the involved foreign
| > ISPs, largely in Asia and Brazil, I think.
|
| That's why I use DNS-based blacklists. See http://korea.services.net to
| get an idea on how it works.

The key to how it works is not discussed much there, though.
I mean, the immediate result is you still end up solving just your
own host's piece of the problem, too little of the problem for the
spammers to care and too late to relieve any of the infrastructure
burden.  If it works, it will be because enough ISPs are doing this
to cause noticeable harm to legitimate Internet users in Korea et al.,
hopefully leading to reform.  That beats shutting down Internet
access between those countries and North America, though.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu