portalocker in Win98

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 14 16:12:08 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 12:48, Richard Jones wrote:

> If anyone knows how to lock a file on win98, I'd really appreciate a hint.

Win98 only supports locking entire computers, not files <wink>

Assuming 98 doesn't support locking files (which I believe to be true,
but am willing to be corrected on), what I would probably do in this
case is create a "lock server" using a network socket and have
applications acquire a lock from it.  I expect you could even make the
API mirror the portalock API (which I've never used and so can't comment
on) and use it as a drop-in replacement.

Even if 98 supported file locking, I expect this approach would be
superior.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer