Shared vs static link performance hit --and Windows?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at
Thu Jul 10 14:26:58 CEST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jul 2003, Martin v. [iso-8859-15] Löwis wrote:

> On such systems, use of PIC is only for performance, to save the
> relocations. Notice that this use is often questioned, as you have to
> trade runtime efficiency due to the loss of general-purpose registers
> to the PIC implementation, on particular on x86. So for long-running
> applications, it would be better to accept the relocations at start-up
> time, and get better performance during the computations.

Thanks, again, for taking the time to correct my obsolete understanding.

E-mail: andymac at  (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at             (alt) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:               |        Australia