xrange

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Jun 22 12:14:26 EDT 2003

Bryan wrote:

> in 2.3, what is the best way to write this:
>   for i in xrange(100): print 'Hello'
>
> i used timeit and it seems that repeat is about 10% faster.

Is such a small performance difference more important to you than
backwards compatibility?

I would choose "for i in xrange()" still, merely because of the
number of people still using Python 2.2 and before, but I'm not
one who cares much about trivial optimizations...

(I realize you might be using 2.3-only features, but I don't think
that automatically means you should abandon readability, by dumping
a well-known idiom with a merely possibly-to-become-idiomatic form.)

-Peter