Python IO performance?

Rob Hall robhall at
Wed Jun 4 15:05:14 CEST 2003

"Tim Roberts" <timr at> wrote in message
news:hhvqdvgqftk8ee3mjiccc8d1te5thnnab3 at
> "Rob Hall" <robhall at> wrote:
> >I converted the program into Ada - Ada being very fast.  But there were
> >real performance gains here.
> I'm taking this thread wildly off-topic, but that line intrigued me.  The
> last time I worked with Ada, better than a decade ago, the compilers were
> absolutely hopeless, partly because the language is so vast and complex.
> It looked like there would never be a time Ada could compete with C or
> Fortran in terms of performance.
> Has that situation changed?
> --
> - Tim Roberts, timr at
>   Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

I've only dabbled in ada over the last few years.  I've always found it on
par or better than c++ on simple projects (which is all I use it for).   I
often convert small peices of Python into Ada, but this is the first time
I've used it primarily for serious IO.

Rob Hall