Getting a list of an object's methods?

Freddie oinkfreddie at oinkmadcowdisease.oinkorg
Sun Jun 22 08:31:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

I've been having some issues trying to get a list of the methods of a class.
In 2.2.3, this code gives me all of the object's variables and methods:

for thing in dir(self):
    	print 'thing:', thing

In 2.1.3, on several different machines/OSes (Linux and FreeBSD), only the
variables show up. The same thing happens with __dict__. Is there a way to do
this that will work on 2.1.x, 2.2.x, and I guess 2.3.x as well? The docs say
this about dir():

Note: Because dir() is supplied primarily as a convenience for use at an
interactive prompt, it tries to supply an interesting set of names more than
it tries to supply a rigorously or consistently defined set of names, and its
detailed behavior may change across releases.

Any help would be appreciated.

  Freddie