Twice instanciation

Salvatore artyprog at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 12 16:45:09 EDT 2003

Manuel Garcia wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:14:35 +0200, Salvatore <artyprog at wanadoo.fr>
> wrote:
>

> You may have to use a 'try' statement.
>
>     print "1st time, create name 'G'"
>
>     try:
>     except NameError:
>         G = 'whatever'
>     else:
>         print "name 'G' already in use"
>
>     print "2nd time, recognize already using 'G'"
>
>     try:
>     except NameError:
>         G = 'whatever'
>     else:
>         print "name 'G' already in use"
>
> If you want this behavior as part of your class, you will have to do
> some very tricky programming with 'sys._getframe()' and 'inspect' in
> your '__init__'. 'sys._getframe(1).f_locals' and
> 'sys._getframe(1).f_globals' so you can see the names already in use,
> to see if perhaps any are an instance of your class, and then
> 'inspect' to take a peek at the line of code with the assignment.
> If, in fact, this is what you want, may I ask what the exact purpose
> is?

This what I wanted indeed, and it's no as simple as I imagined ;-)

What are you trying to avoid, and why is it important to avoid
> it?

The problem araise when I was asked from a friend how to manage
global variables, and among other examples I said he could wrote
a class named Global and instanciate object from this class,
being assured a same name would not be used twice

The code for the procedure very roughly sketched out in the
> preceeding paragraph would be difficult to write, and very difficult
> to be made robust.

I will use another solution :-)

Thanks Manuel