Porridge 0.0

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Thu Jun 5 17:51:34 EDT 2003

Ed Avis wrote:

> Ben Finney <bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au> writes:
>>Building on the success of Python to date, Porridge will correct
>>all the flaws that have been raised by opponents of Python.
> ... Oh, and put goto in there as well, it is sorely missed.
Clearly this is _not_ what we want "goto" is confirmed terrible.
I suggest we use the Knuth-defined (bow, scrape) "comefrom" and
"computed comefrom" statement.  Outside of APL, this is the one
statement I can think of that can easily make 12-line programs
unreadable.  If you don't know aboutthe "comefrom" statement,
Try to find Knuth's original paper.  If lazier, check:
     http://www.gre.ac.uk/~hj05/stuff/comefrom.htm
for example.

Obviously we also need sort-as-expression, conditional-expressions,
and asignment-as-side-effect to really complete our language.

Can anyone design a single expresion type that includes all of
these (comefrom, side-effect assign, sort-expression, and
conditional-expression into a single operator that will be
Porridge's killer-app?

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org