Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

Carl Banks imbosol-1048399290 at aerojockey.com
Sun Mar 23 02:36:44 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Carl Banks wrote:
>
>> "I go" is ambiguous in tense the same way.
>
> "I go" is correct (if awkward) grammar, so exactly how is that
> ambiguous?

Did you read the rest of my post?  I'm guessing not.  I'll play the
game at your level one more time.

You and I are both aware that speakers learning English say "he go"
when they mean "he went."

But those same people also say "I go" when they mean "I went."

And *you* seem to be amazingly and persistently ignorant of this fact.

You incorrectly believe the ambiguity of "he go" is because the
grammar is incorrect.  That is flatly not the reason, because "I go"
is ambiguous, too, and "I go" is correct grammar.

The lack of an -s on "go" is NOT what makes the words "he go"
ambiguous.

What does make "he go" (and "I go", and "he goes") ambiguous is the
fact that non-native English speakers often use the wrong tense.

The lack of -s on the verb merely aroused your suspicion that this
wasn't a native speaker, but even that's superfluous because the guy's
accent already reavealed this.

The ambiguity of "he go" (and "I go", and "he goes") is hardly a
problem with good speakers of English.

If a person who speaks good English were to say "he go" at any point,
there would not be any ambiguity in the meaning.  It would mean "he
goes" and nothing else.

Is that clear enough?

Now, if you have another question, be sure to include the password
"appeal to ignorance" in your reply so I know you've read the whole
post.

Thank you,

--
CARL BANKS

P.S. "I go" isn't awkward.  You never said "I go all the time"?