Open Source Python ODBC module for Linux?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Mon Mar 17 06:54:29 EST 2003

msajec at ieee.org (Mike S.) wrote in message news:<bc2ee265.0303131550.28ddb588 at posting.google.com>...
> Is there an open source python odbc module in existence?  All I've
> been able to find is mxODBC which is cross-platform and nice, but
> costs lots of $$$.

I didn't think that the price was that extreme, and remember that for
commercial databases you're possibly going to require some kind of
commercial ODBC adapter anyway. For non-commercial databases, I don't
really see any major issues in using the native adapters, at least on
UNIX-like systems.

It's possible, of course, to wrap something like iODBC or unixODBC and
invoke those libraries from Python, if you have development time
(rather than funds) to spare, but although I started to do such
things, I've never been compelled to finish the job - I don't really
need such functionality myself.

Paul