Metaphors and politics

Anton Vredegoor anton at vredegoor.doge.nl
Sat Mar 29 17:33:28 EST 2003

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:

>Btw. for non-USA readers who may be unaware:  the _Washington Times_ is
>the house organ for Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church.  Politically,
>it is somewhere to the right of Ghengis Khan.  Truth comes in many
>guises, but the medium provides an initial clue.

Ah, the old left-right metaphor. But nowadays one also has to think in
terms of globalist-antiglobalist. The confusing thing about it is that
the globalists are in fact antiglobalistic since they are using the
worlds natural resources for themselves without letting others share
equally in the profit. Also this is done with little regard for local
and global -environmental, social and ecological- damage. Being
against this is creating confusing terminology. I think the first
thing to do for the real globalists (which until now call themselves
antiglobalists) is to deconstruct these metaphoric divisionary tactics
and claim the term "globalists" for themselves.

The bungee jump attempt to link this to Python: Would it be beneficial
for the world if Python would provide the cognitive tools for a bottom
up approach, e.g. a name in the local scope could rebind a name in the
global scope?

Anton.