Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

W D Tate billtate at usermail.com
Tue Mar 11 18:07:15 EST 2003

hasoob2003 at yahoo.com (Hasoob  ahs) wrote in message news:<37a869bc.0303102102.4533973 at posting.google.com>...
> In an interview at http://www.artima.com/intv/strongweak4.html Guido
> van Rossum was asked if "he would be comfortable enough with the
> robustness of Python systems to fly on an airplane in which ALL the
> control software was written in Python". Guido's answer was clear but
> I would like to hear from other Python programmers.
> Would you be comfortable?. Your answer may help me decide between
> strong and weak typing. I prefer an answer of yes or no followed by an
> explanation.

Short answer - strongly advise you take a walk over on comp.lang.ada
or .eiffel or visit www.adaic.com for more familiarization with this
topic.  Strong-typing is a hugely important issue in safety-critical
systems for very good reason. You may also want to poke around
standards for FAA certification of safety-critical systems and reviews
of new MISRA C standard (suggest google) will offer some insights as
well.

IMHO, some of the posts thus far would precipitate the equivalent of
WWIII of flamewars on boards such as comp.lang.eiffel, comp.lang.ada
and a few others I can think of.