python IRC & Command line

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Sat May 24 20:54:28 EDT 2003

enk0d wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>                  I was wondering if this was actually possible or if
> someone tried it already but seeing how alot of us are linux,BSD, unix
> users i was wondering how hard would it be to make my own irc client that
> can run from the commmand line of linux.

I personally use irssi when under Unix. It is an irc client for the
console, very well written, very extensible (other GUI frontends, other
protocols like SILC), scriptable (via PERL, but I've heard someone
wanted to add Python scriptability, I quickly looked into this as well).

There is at least one Python IRC client already, but I don't know who
apart from its author uses it. The author can be found on #python (on
freenode), so you could perhaps talk with him. Searching for the
keywords python irc client on Google will also give you some IRC clients
written in Python, as well as at least one IRC client library that you
could use. Btw. Twisted has support for IRC, too.

Generally I'd recommend you join the #python channel on freenode and ask
around there. My nick there's 'inapt' btw. (http://www.freenode.net/)
This IRC network is connected to at least EFnet and IRCnet via relay
bots, btw. FWIW the current implementation of the relay bots is written
using Twisted.

> I would like your opinions in this matter please. Thank you

It's a nice exercise.

-- Gerhard