digital cameras

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Mon May 5 06:23:51 EDT 2003

Greg Fortune <lists at gregfortune.com> wrote in message news:<9cnta.864$jU2.799096 at feed2.centurytel.net>...
> Looks like you're after the same thing I am and it looks possible if the
> camera implements PTP and an implementation of the protocol exists for
> Python.  TWAIN will do it as well, but I don't find any implementation
> under UNIX.  Please let me know if you discover anything useful...

Remember that TWAIN is just some kind of API which doesn't cover the
communication between the computer and the device - many "TWAIN
compatible" devices are actually interfaced using a proprietary
communications protocol implemented by a closed-source driver written
by the vendor that exposes the TWAIN API (to Windows applications).

I suppose you could see if SANE [1] supports your device, and I notice
that you were also investigating gphoto, which seems like a good
potential solution.

Paul

[1] http://www.mostang.com/sane/intro.html