Creating a service/deamon ??

Lexy Zhitenev zhitenev at cs.vsu.ru
Wed May 14 10:24:24 EDT 2003

Hello, Thomas!
You wrote  on Wed, 14 May 2003 14:02:08 +0200:

 TWP> I need to create a long-time running service/deamon that will monitor
 TWP> some email-accounts and do certain jobs on given intervals.
 TWP> Preferrably it will be able to run as a Windows2000-service, available
 TWP> in the service-manager and as a deamon started by inetd/xinetd etc on
 TWP> Linunx, just like ordinary services.
Sorry, but I think the ways between implementing services and daemons are
very different.

 TWP> What is the best way to do this? Does anybody has any simple code
 TWP> examples I could base this thing on?
Maybe this is not what you seek as this example is not simple, but take your
time to visit http://edna.sf.net. It's a streaming MP3 server. It can be run
as a daemon either on Linux (via sh) or as a service on Windows (via
win32service).

With best regards, Lexy Zhitenev.  E-mail: zhitenev at cs.vsu.ru