64-bit EPIC and some modules

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 27 06:09:41 EDT 2003

Christos "TZOTZIOY" Georgiou <tzot at sil-tec.gr> writes:

> The problem is that I am at a loss with the configure mechanism, and I
> can't figure why audioop, imageop and _tkinter were not configured in
> from the beginning (it's a linux system, after all; libraries and
> includes are in the standard places, ie /usr/lib and /usr/include).  I
> am ATM browsing old posts in Google groups searching for pieces of a
> 'python-configure-how-to', but any hints would be appreciated.

_tkinter built fine for me, with Python 2.3.1, on a Debian/ia64
system.  If it was not built for you, most likely, you forgot to
install the header files.

audioop and imageop are not build because of this code in setup.py:

        # Multimedia modules
        # These don't work for 64-bit platforms!!!
        # These represent audio samples or images as strings:

        # Disabled on 64-bit platforms
        if sys.maxint != 9223372036854775807L:
            # Operations on audio samples
            exts.append( Extension('audioop', ['audioop.c']) )
            # Operations on images
            exts.append( Extension('imageop', ['imageop.c']) )
            # Read SGI RGB image files (but coded portably)
            exts.append( Extension('rgbimg', ['rgbimgmodule.c']) )

Regards,
Martin