64-bit EPIC and some modules

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Mon Sep 29 18:41:31 EDT 2003

On 27 Sep 2003 12:09:41 +0200, rumours say that martin at v.loewis.de
(Martin v. Löwis) might have written:

>_tkinter built fine for me, with Python 2.3.1, on a Debian/ia64
>system.  If it was not built for you, most likely, you forgot to
>install the header files.

The header files were there (/usr/lib/tcl), and that is why I managed to
compile just by uncommenting the lines in Modules/Setup.  I didn't
install any -devel packages in the meanwhile.
I'll give it a shot again remotely when the machine reaches our client
(we must send it tomorrow).

>audioop and imageop are not build because of this code in setup.py:
>
>        # Multimedia modules
>        # These don't work for 64-bit platforms!!!
>        # These represent audio samples or images as strings:

Ah, thank you.  Given that they worked fine for me[1] on ia64, I will
post a patch tomorrow afternoon which hopefully will be used when more
success reports on 64-bit machines come in.

[1] the tests ran, and I tried the following on a Windows python, a
32-bit Linux and the ia64 one side-by-side:

print audioop.max("hello there!", 2)

and I got 29285 in all three of them
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,