Advice from Jeff (Was Re: Is there "let binding" in Python?)

Don Bruder dakidd at sonic.net
Mon Sep 15 02:30:44 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1063592122.17998.python-list at python.org>,
 Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net> wrote:

<major snippage>

> Not an answer, but advice: when writing programs in Python, write Python
> programs.

Gawd, but that's profound! And on several levels... No... I'm serious.
But I'm also smiling.

>  If it's your task to translate some Scheme (or any other
> language) into Python as literally as possible, my heart goes out to you.

How miserable do you expect me to be translating from Python to C/C++ as
literally as possible? Sounds like you think the Scheme guy has some
serious heartbreak ahead. So far, with a good working knowledge of C,
and picking up serious steam in C++ as I go, (Note 1) I'm trying to take
a Python program to C/C++, with a preference for C++. So far, here at
the very beginning of the start of the project, things *SEEM* to be
going well. I've got several simple routines from one of the classes
converted into pieces of a C++ class, and a few stub routines, and it
compiles & runs.

Note 1:
Been trying to teach myself C++ for a while now, and doing this port is
sorta my final exam in "Don learns C++ 101". Do I know enough to make it
happen? I do? Great! I don't? Drat! Go RTFM some more to see what I've
missed and correct the lack if I can figure out how. And if I can't
figure it out that way, well... There's always consulting with the
faculty and student body of Usenet University - Umpty-two-million
experts in 14-gazillion fields can't *ALL* be wrong simultaneously.

I hope... :)

On the way, I expect I'll pick up more than a little ability to read a
Python program, even if I never manage to type in a single line of
Python code. Not that learning to code in Python is a goal of this
project of mine, but hey... you can't avoid getting some of the source
language rubbed off on you when doing a port. Not if you want the port
to work, anyway.
Who knows... In the process of doing the port, I may begin to like
Python enough to actually try to use it.

--
Don Bruder -  dakidd at sonic.net <--- Preferred Email - SpamAssassinated.
Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.