a little OT: how to handle this email list?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Sep 23 13:07:55 EDT 2003

Matthew Wilson wrote:

> I subscribe to the python mailing list with an IMAP mailbox.  I use
> squirrelmail to check my mail.  This is a great list, but it is definitely
> high volume.  My python folder fills up with several hundred emails every
> day.  How do the rest of you handle all the traffic on this list?  Do you
> delete everything at the end of every day?

As Skip pointed out, use a "thread kill" feature.  If you don't have
that with this newsgroup/mailing list, you're probably screwed! :-)

I tend to read with my finger on the "k" key more than on the "n"
(for "next") key.  Relatively few threads survive the first posting.
Some few that do, I tend to hit "n" rapidly to skip past updates except
those made by folks who've shown they have a clue.  If no interesting
posts are made after a while, even the formerly interesting threads will
get encounter the "k" key of death...

-Peter