Sound, time and platform issues

Tobias Pfeiffer BoteDesSchattens at web.de
Wed Sep 17 14:21:35 EDT 2003

Hi!

anton muhin <antonmuhin.REMOVE.ME.FOR.REAL.MAIL at rambler.ru> wrote in
news:bka4k6$j9a$1 at news.peterlink.ru:

> 3. If there is no Windows solution, what is the simplest way to use
> Linux? I have a notebook and rather limited knowledge of Linux. I
> don't want to install Linux on the notebook---harddrive is somewhat
> limited. However, I heard that there are some variants of *nix that
> needs only boot-CD. Does anybody have experience with systems like
> these?

Yuz. A little bit, at least. There's two alternatives I know of.
1. Knoppix. There you have a completely free system, basing on Debian
Linux, that boots from CD-ROM and gives you a complete Linux system,
including KDE (graphical user interface) and all the stuff you would need
to write python. But since it won't change your machine at all, you will
probably have to reinstall the desired sound modules at every reboot and
have all of your files stored on your harddisk, or all will be lost.
Normally, you would find information about Knoppix at
www.knopper.net/knoppix, but this site is closed right now due to the
Software Patent Issue of the European Union.
2. SuSE Linux Live-Eval (or something like that). I never tried that, but
this is supposed to be a "Test-Linux" from the german linux distributor
SuSE that is freely available.
(http://www.suse.de/us/private/download/ftp/live_eval_int.html)

Bye
Tobias