Pythonwin working on linux

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 07:30:12 EST 2004

Well, seems there's a new Python IDE on linux:

http://wwwsearch.sf.net/bits/pythonwin.png

It's running on Debian woody GNU/Linux under KDE 3.2 with Crossover
office (commercial distribution of wine - http://www.winehq.com/),
Python 2.3, win32all 157.  Seems to work fine!

Even some parts of win32com work.  It managed to create a GUID and ran
gen_py on the Word type library, and the MSOffice test launched Word,
but crashed on setting the Visible property.  It feels like cheating,
somehow:

john[1]$ cxoffice/bin/wine .cxoffice/dotwine/fake_windows/Python23/python.exe
Python 2.3 (#46, Jul 29 2003, 18:54:32) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

You can even type control-D to exit.

I remember somebody here reporting that making Windows installers
works using McMillan installer, too, and I read somewhere that it's
even possible to install MSVC 6!

John