Which is the most mature Soap module?

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Jun 4 07:42:45 EDT 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Mickel Grönroos wrote:

> The following is a rather long message. Here is a summary of my questions
> below:
>
> 1. ZSI fails on a TypeError when using ZSI.ServiceProxy, why?

dunno -- it's a while since I used it.  Is that part of the WSDL stuff?
All that (which is common code between ZSI and SOAPpy) was pretty flaky
when I tried it.

> 2. Is there a way to use cookie authentification with SOAPpy
> (client-side)?

Yes, no reason why not to use my ClientCookie package to do that, but I
don't know from memory exactly where you need to insert the required code
in SOAPpy.  I'm slightly surprised if SOAP needs cookie handling, but not
entirely, since I know it is required for some XML-RPC services.

[...]
> 2. Second, I need to upload a local file to a specific place on the server
> using the cookie as authentification.
[...]
> TypeError: an integer is required
> >>>

> Any ideas what this might be? I gather I would need to set the port to 443
> somewhere, but I can't find the right place.

No idea without digging, sorry.  As I say, WSDL support is definitely
flaky, so it's always possible you've just hit a bug.

> The second part, i.e. the upload, is trickier. Using SOAP::Lite in Perl,
> one can specify a cookie to use for authentification, but I can seem to
> find that in the documentation of SOAPpy. So how do I do cookie
> authentification with SOAPpy (or ZSI for that matter)??
[...]
>     -> proxy('http://services.xmethods.net/soap/servlet/rpcrouter',
>              cookie_jar => HTTP::Cookies->new(ignore_discard => 1));
>
>   print $soap->echoString('Hello')->result;
>
> I need something like that 'cookie_jar' parameter in SOAPpy too. Help and
> thanks!

I might have a look this weekend, but don't promise.

John