Python Wiki & wiki Hosting?

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Jun 6 11:09:12 EDT 2004

Eric @ Zomething wrote:

> Greetings Comrades, Pythonistas!
>
> I am looking for guidance on the quick and easiest path to set up a
> Python wiki.

as others have undoubtedly suggested, there are numerous python Wikis available.  Let me give you an idea that might make wikis more usable by mere mortals.

When I was CTO of a small startup, we used twiki to hold all of the development documentation.  It worked reasonably well until the pages became quite large.  Eventually, we all noticed that we didn't update our pages as we should because it was too much like work.  Editing a markup language inside of a browser text area was lame.  Even the CEO complained and said something we all should have recognized:  "Why can't you edit wiki pages like you were in word".

with that simple statement, I realized that wikis are fundamentally good tools but they are hampered, horribly hampered by the user interface.  the project would be figuring out how to manipulate a wiki using a WYSIWYG infrastructure components such as abiword.  The reason I suggest using abiword as the base is that it is a reasonable, lightweight word processor that can use plug-ins written in Python.

---eric