pywin32 support for CreateTypeLib2

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Jun 9 03:39:37 EDT 2004

Philip Rittenhouse  <phil2 at dspfactory.com> writes:

> I was just wondering if there are any plans to support the
> CreateTypeLib2 API either instead of, or in addition to, the
> CreateTypeLib API.
>
> I am currently using pythoncom to generate type libraries, but
> I ran into an issue supporting optional parameters.   After a
> lot of digging I discovered that the old CreateTypeLib API doesn't
> support them.   I have currently built a custom version of pywin32
> that uses the new CreateTypeLib2 API, and everything works great.
> I'm hoping that the CreateTypeLib2 support can be added to the
> official release.

As Roger already said, upload a patch to the pywin32 project.

OTOH, it should (hopefully!) been easier to do it with ctypes - I assume
creating typelibs isn't that performance critical.  Currently ctypes.com
can use but not create typelibs: readtlb.py creates ctypes Python
wrappers from type libraries - my plan it to also create typelibs from
the Python wrappers.

Thomas