Templating engine?

has has.temp2 at virgin.net
Mon Jun 21 13:53:16 EDT 2004

Daniel Ellison <daniel at syrinx.net> wrote in message news:<2jnslaF121d5gU1 at uni-berlin.de>...
> has wrote:
> > PyMeld, Nevow.renderer and HTMLTemplate all provide complete
> > separation of business and presentation logic from HTML markup.
> >
> > Also, because they're designed specifically for templating, they
> > should also be a lot simpler and easier to use than generic DOM
> > systems such as ElementTree.
> >

> Who said ElementTree was a generic DOM system?

Oops. Sorry. Should've said "DOM-style", seeing as the acronym "DOM"
is imbued with rather specific meaning. Basically, I mean anything
that represents a document as an object model.

> Admittedly, the just-in-time lookup on IDs is less than ideal. Better
> would be a system which cached the elements containing IDs in a
> dictionary on parsing the document.

Have you looked at PyMeld/Nevow.renderer/HTMLTemplate at all? These
systems only convert "special" elements into independent template
nodes, resulting in a much simpler, more efficient object model.

HTH