Idle 2.3.4 won't start on Windows

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 10:35:22 EDT 2004

[Sven Erik Knop]
> probably an old problem, but maybe you can help me:
>
> Just installed Python 2.3.4 on Windows XP SP1, and although the interpreter
> runs fine, IDLE will not start.
>
> Any ideas how to solve this?

One step at a time.

The most common reason for IDLE not running on Windows is that the
user installed Ruby.  The Ruby Windows installer is a bad citizen,
setting environment variables that prevent other apps from using Tk.
Did you install Ruby?

Open a DOS box, cd to your Python directory, and try this:

C:\Python23>python
Python 2.3.4 (#53, May 25 2004, 21:17:02) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import Tkinter
>>> Tkinter._test()

What happens?