OT: Cryptography puzzle

Timo Virkkala a at a.invalid
Tue Jun 1 07:39:47 EDT 2004

I was looking through my old emails, and ran across this in a signature:

"""
----------------------->             <---------------------------
When cryptography becomes illegal, jkdf ertjgdd wer k opogl ssfd!
"""

Curious as I was, I wanted to decrypt the end. At first I thought that it
was ROT-13, and tried that. Nope. Then I saw the lone "k" in the middle, and
thought that it must be "a", so I tried ROT-16. Wrong again. I also tried
all other rotations, from 1 to 26, to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas
what to try next?

I also included the arrows, which began the signature, since I thought they
might be significant in some way...

--
WT