newbie question-multidimensional arrays

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 01:32:38 EDT 2004

Doug Jordan wrote:

> How do you define and access multidimensional arrays in Python?   I am new
> to python and come from a C and FORTRAN background and I am not sure how to
> define an array without giving the contents of the array.  Any help will be
> appreciated.   I would like to be able to read and manipulate
> multidimensional arrays using a nested loop.  I cannot find anything in the
> documentation to help me.

google for: Numpy, Scipy, weave, f2py, numarray

scipy is the grand wrapper which will give you on top of Numeric/Numarray (the
array library proper) a ton of other stuff: special functions, numerical
methods, fortran code wrapping, and out-of-the box wrappers to most/all of blas
and lapack.

For plotting/visualization (which you'll eventually need), matplotlib,
gnuplot.py and MayaVi should be on your list.

For PostScript/LaTeX algorithmic generation, PyX is an amazing tool.

Cheers,