[OT] Top posting is a PITA

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Wed Mar 31 08:15:53 EST 2004

"Didier Morandi" <no at spam.com> wrote in message
news:c4e6jv$10te$1 at biggoron.nerim.net...

> What against-top-posting people do not WANT to understand is that the very
first
> interest of posting is, to me, to get help or information.
>
> So, you post your question and, by definition, you remember what it was
(well, I
> hope so).
>
> Then, you go back to the ng the day after and if you got an answer, you
are
> interested in the answer, not to reread your post.

That's a very good point. One of the forums I read is Baen's Bar
(Baen Publishing) where the publisher has an ironclad rule that
going to hit the page down button to see whether there was
anything interesting in the response. If he doesn't see it where
his eyes are pointing, it might as well not exist. I suspect it's the
only way he gets through his mail to get anything done.

AFAIC, it doesn't matter whether you put your response at the
top or bottom; what matters to me is whether I can find what
you're talking about quickly. That means ruthless pruning of the
post so that old stuff gets deleted.

John Roth