a desired python editor

Jim Benson jbenson at sextans.lowell.edu
Mon Mar 8 21:56:54 EST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Gary Herron wrote:

> On Monday 08 March 2004 06:13 pm, Jim Benson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   Does anyone know of a source code editor for python
> > that has the following characteristics:
> >
> > 1) Freeware (desired)
> > 2) Runs on Linux (required)
> > 3) Syntax high lighting (required)
> > 4) A separate window for each file opened (desired)
> > 5) A way of seeing (and jumping to) the names of all methods/functions
> >    data elements in the file. (required)
>
> Emacs gives you all of the above

As i wrote the email...i had a sneaking suspicion that i
should perhaps look back at emacs. On unix i started with
vi, moved to emacs then to xemacs, then to others.
Its been awhile since i looked at either emacs or xemacs.

> 1 and 2 are no-brainers, although, as a matter of terminology,
> calling it freeware is going cause severe heartburn for some.

Yes...i thought about adding a comment about freeware, opensource...
but i didn't bother to look up and re-read the documents. I guess
i should. My sincere apologies to Richard Stallman and others.
I promise to go back and re-read the distinctions.

> Items 3 and 5 come from python-mode.el, which is distributed with
> python.
>
> Item 4 will take a one line bit of configuration.
>
> Gary Herron

Thanks...i'm collecting all suggestions and i will try
them out.

Jim