Python for Information Visualization

Umesh Persad up209 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 08:36:53 EST 2004

Hi All,
  I am looking for a platform to rapidly develop
software for Information Visualization. Since
I am working in an academic environment, I want
to be able to develop applications quickly with minimal
learning and problems.

I was looking to python as a solution. However, before
I jump right in, I was wondering about the capabilities
of Python for interactive graphical programming. I am
also using Processing (http://processing.org/) which is good
for quick visualization mockups.

Are there any packages for python that will allow me to develop
interactive applications quickly? Things like having the capability
to draw whatever shapes I want, changing the GUI to a custom look and
feel, support for mouse and keyboard interaction, and the capability to
handle large amounts of data are important.

Any advice in this regard would be most appreciated.

Thanks for all the help!
Umesh Persad