Python for email?

Chris Green cmg at dok.org
Tue Mar 30 09:08:26 EST 2004

claird at lairds.com (Cameron Laird) writes:

>  However, one benefit of sendmail and comparable MTAs that's often
> not immedi- ately apparent (and, with any luck, won't be for the
> life of any specific project) is their knowledge about retries.

A good argument against MTAs when doing an application for deployment
with less than knowledgable sysadmins that pick a default linux box
and do an install just to get your system up on running on their
intranet.

When their email doesn't work for one of a myriad of reasons (FQDN,
relay configuration, odd internal MX records) you're left supporting
them or telling them to find support for some piece of software more
complex than what you probably gave them.

I got reminded of this yet again when I tried to do a VERY quick
install of bugzilla a few months ago.

Getting them to enter an IP and then on the phone telling them to do
telnet host 25 is a much easier thing to debug.
--
Chris Green <cmg at dok.org>
A good pun is its own reword.